Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ham Soup Recipe: Gluten, Dairy/Casein and Soy free

I had a chunk of ham left over and thought about making some split pea soup.
But when I checked out the pantry I was out of peas, so I put those on the grocery list and moved on. With a bunch of potatoes, onions, carrots and greens, I decided to make another soup.

INGREDIENTS:

1-1.5lbs Ham (Organic, certified gluten and casein free)
5med Potatoes
2sm Onions
2lg Carrots
4lg Kale leaves, ribs removed
2lg Collard leaves
3Tbls Coconut Oil
1/2tsp Oregano
1/2tsp Rosemary
1/2tsp Basil
1/2tsp Marjoram
4cups Chicken Broth (If you don't have time to make homemade, I recommend Pacific brand organic. It is GFCFSF)
2-3C of filtered Water

DIRECTIONS:

Pour chicken broth and water in to a soup pot or braising pan.
Turn burner on Medium
While that is heating up peel, rinse and chop onions, carrots and potatoes. Add to pot.
Chunk ham in to bit sized pieces, add to pot.
Add coconut oil and all spices, except pepper.
Bring to boil then cover with tight fitting lid and reduce heat to medium low to simmer for approximately 1hr.
Rinse collards and kale, tear or chop in to bit sized pieces.
Turn burner off.
Add greens to pot and gently stir.

You can eat this as is or top with cracked pepper. I like it with cayenne for a bit of a kick.

Enjoy~
Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment