Saturday, December 1, 2012

How is Liam's .....?

I've been asked the the same few questions a lot recently and have decided to answer them here.

Today I'll address the issue of timing. I'll get to the actual questions next post.

It's a tough spot to be in when we're out in public and people ask me things about Liam right in front of him, as if he weren't there. Now I know that the intentions of people are good. They just want to know what's going on. Unfortunately some of the more sensitive questions about Liam's autism, are just not appropriate for me to be talking about in front of him.

Non-verbal does not mean unable to comprehend. He has sensory processing disorder on top of regressive autism, so it takes him longer to respond, but he will respond. In fact his receptive language is so good that he can now follow 3 part tasks. Such as, take off your coat, put it away and come see me. He does it. He gets it. I really don't want him knowing all of the scary parts of his health and autism at 5 years old.

So, if you ask me a question about Liam in front of him and I seem to blow it off, please know that I am not trying to be rude. I am not ignoring you. I really do appreciate your concern and love. Maybe just send me an email, call or txt. I feel so fortunate to have people in our lives that care so much and I definitely want to keep the lines of communication open.
With love,
Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment